Shirley Temple, the iconic child actress, was not only known for her performances but also for her signature drink. The non-alcoholic beverage was made famous in the 1930s, and it has stood the test of time as a popular favorite for many. Knowing how to make a proper Shirley Temple can be important, whether you want to recreate a classic taste or add your twist. In this article, we’ll go over the recipe’s history and step-by-step guide to making the perfect Shirley Temple. Additionally, we’ll provide a range of variations to add sparkle to your parties, ideas for unique ingredients to change the traditional recipe, and tips to make the drink healthier. Lastly, we’ll cover how to make a Shirley Temple bar for your next event.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Make the Perfect Shirley Temple at Home
The classic recipe needs a few ingredients, most of which can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- Lemon-lime soda (preferably 7-Up or Sprite)
- Grenadine syrup
- A splash of orange juice
- Ice cubes
- A maraschino cherry for garnish
Now, let’s get started with the recipe:
- Fill a Collins glass with ice till the brim.
- Pour in the lemon-lime soda until it’s three-quarters of the way up the glass.
- Add a splash of orange juice and stir with a long-handled spoon.
- Pour grenadine syrup into the glass and watch it settle to the bottom.
- Add a cherry for garnish
- Give the drink a final stir before serving.
Tips and tricks to make the perfect Shirley Temple:
- Make sure the grenadine syrup goes to the bottom of the glass to achieve the signature ombre effect.
- If you like your drink less sweet, start with a little grenadine syrup and then add more to taste.
- Use enough ice to ensure that the drink stays cold.
- Keep the soda and grenadine syrup chilled, so the drink remains cool and not watery.
The History of Shirley Temple and How to Make Her Classic Drink
Shirley Temple Black was an American actress and diplomat who passed away in 2014. Her career spanned from 1932 to 1961, where she won various awards. However, she was equally famous, if not more famous for her signature non-alcoholic drink – Shirley Temple.
The classic recipe used to make the Shirley Temple is attributed to a Los Angeles restaurant owned by the late actor, Charles E. Borah. The initial recipe was simply ginger ale, grenadine syrup, and a maraschino cherry. Later, 7-Up replaced ginger ale, and orange juice was added to the mix.
To make Shirley Temple’s classic drink:
- Fill a highball glass with ice till the brim.
- Pour in the ginger ale’s syrup until it’s three-quarters of the way up the glass.
- Top up with 7-Up and add a splash of orange juice.
- Add a maraschino cherry for garnish.
If you want to make it closer to the current recipe, replace ginger ale with lemon-lime soda, and you’re good to go.
Add Some Sparkle to Your Next Party with These Shirley Temple Variations
If you want to add a little sparkle to your party, Shirley Temple variations are a perfect way to get creative. Here are some Shirley Temple fruit varieties you can try:
- Watermelon Shirley Temple: This variation is perfect for hot summer days. Replace the grenadine syrup with fresh watermelon juice.
- Blueberry Shirley Temple: Add few fresh blueberries to the classic recipe, and voila, you have a blueberry Shirley Temple.
- Raspberry Shirley Temple: Muddle a few fresh raspberries and add to the classic recipe for a fruity twist.
Pair your variations with the right food to cultivate the ideal taste. The blueberry Shirley Temple is best paired with a pastry-like apple pie. The Raspberry variation works perfectly with freshly cooked pancakes or waffles. The watermelon variation, on the other hand, is ideally paired with a range of grilled meats like chicken and steak.
Experiment with These Unique Ingredients to Put a Twist on the Classic Shirley Temple Recipe
To make your Shirley Temple unique, try adding different ingredients to complement the classic recipe. Here are a few ideas:
- Fresh mint leaves
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Cranberry juice instead of orange juice
- Combine chocolate syrup and grenadine syrup for a chocolatey twist.
Combine flavors based on your preference. Pair fresh mint leaves with raspberries or chocolate with cherries.
Tips to Making a Low-Sugar or Sugar-Free Shirley Temple for a Healthier Option
If you’re looking for a healthier Shirley Temple, the best way is to reduce the amount of sugar added to the drink. Here is how:
- Use a low or no-sugar lemon-lime soda instead of 7-Up or Sprite.
- Replace sugary grenadine syrup with a sugar-free alternative.
- Use freshly squeezed orange juice or omit it entirely.
Fun and Creative Ways to Make a Shirley Temple Mocktail for Kids
Shirley Temple is a perfect drink for kids’ parties as it’s non-alcoholic and looks fancy enough for any celebration. Here are some recipe variations:
- Unicorn Shirley Temple: Add a few drops of food coloring to the classic recipe for a fun unicorn twist.
- Cotton Candy Shirley Temple: Place a cotton candy scoop in the glass and pour in the classic recipe. The cotton candy will dissolve in the drink, adding a fun twist.
- Citrus Shirley Temple: Replace the grenadine with blue curacao syrup and add a slice of kiwi for garnish for a fun pink drink.
Provide fun garnishing ideas, like using slices of fresh fruit, placing the drink in a fancy glass, or shaping the cherries into fun shapes.
How to Make a Shirley Temple Bar for Your Next Event, Complete with Different Flavored Syrups and Garnishes
A Shirley Temple bar is an excellent way to get your guests involved in the drink-making process while giving them the liberty to choose their flavors.
A few goodies to put on your bar table include:
- Lemon-lime soda or 7-Up
- A few different syrups like grenadine, raspberry, and grape
- A range of fresh herbs like fresh mint and rosemary
- Slices of fresh fruit like watermelon, lemon, and lime
- A range of garnishes like maraschino cherries, cotton candy, and fun paper umbrellas.
Set up the goodies and let your visitors make their drinks. Provide a recipe guide for the classic drink and different ideas for variations. Watch as everyone loves to experiment.
Whether in its classic form or modified, Shirley Temple remains a popular drink that can be enjoyed by all ages. With the step-by-step guide, tips, and tricks outlined in this article, you can effortlessly make the perfect Shirley Temple at home. Additionally, with the variations of the classic recipe, unique ingredients, kid-friendly options, and the Shirley temple bar, there are endless ways to experiment with this drink.