If you are an iPhone user, you know how important your messages can be. Whether it’s a business transaction or personal conversations, messages are a vital part of your communication. Losing messages can lead to frustration and significant inconvenience. You may have wondered, can you see deleted messages on iPhone?
There are times when you may have accidentally deleted a message, or you may suspect that someone deleted a conversation from your device. Whatever the reason for deleted messages, this article will provide useful insights into message recovery. We will discuss the technicalities of message deletion, expert tips for message recovery, and the solutions available to help you recover deleted messages on your iPhone.
The Mystery of Deleted Messages on iPhone: Can You Really See Them?
When you delete a message on your iPhone, the message is not truly erased. Instead, it is stored in a hidden database in your phone. This database is inaccessible without specific tools or software. To retrieve the deleted message, you need to access the database, which requires professional assistance.
While there are no guarantees when it comes to message retrieval, there are situations where you can recover the deleted messages. The process of message recovery depends on various factors.
Factors that Can Impact Message Retrieval
Here are the factors that can impact message retrieval:
- The length of time since the message was deleted: If you have deleted a message recently, it is easier to retrieve it as databases are less likely to overwrite them.
- The type of message: iMessages are more accessible than text messages as they are saved on Apple’s server. Text messages are stored on your device, however, and are more complex to recover.
- The state of your device: If your phone is up to date with iOS 13 or later, the probability of retrieving deleted messages is lower because of changes to the way messages are stored.
- The type of method used to delete data: If the data was deleted through third-party applications or system restore, it may be more challenging to recover messages logically.
4 Expert Tips to Recover Deleted Messages on Your iPhone
Here are the top four expert tips for recovering deleted messages on your iPhone:
Tip 1: Recover Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup
iCloud creates backups of your phone’s data and saves them on a remote server. If you have enabled iCloud Backup, you can recover deleted messages from a previous iCloud backup. Here are the steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset
- Tap on Erase All Content and Settings
- After your phone has restarted, follow the setup instructions until you see the Apps & Data screen
- Select Restore from iCloud Backup
- Select a backup you want to restore that may contain the deleted messages
Tip 2: Recover Deleted Messages with iPhone Message Recovery Software
There are several iPhone message recovery software options available that can help you recover deleted messages with ease. One of the most effective software options is EaseUS MobiSaver. Here are the steps:
- Download and install EaseUS MobiSaver
- Run the program and connect your iPhone to your computer
- Click Start Scan to begin scanning all deleted data including messages
- Select the messages you want to recover and click Recover
- Save the recovered messages to your computer
Tip 3: Recover Deleted Messages from iTunes Backup
If you’ve synced your phone to iTunes, your messages are backed up on your computer. Here are the steps:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes
- Click on the iPhone icon in the upper left-hand corner of iTunes
- Click on Restore Backup in the Summary tab
- Select the backup file that may contain deleted messages
- Click on Restore
Tip 4: Recover Deleted Messages via Your Phone Carrier
If you use a telecom company, your messages may be backed up on their server. To recover deleted messages with this method, contact your phone provider and request assistance. The telecom company has the tools to help recover deleted messages. You will need your account information and phone number.
What Really Happens When You Delete a Message on an iPhone?
Process of Deleting Messages on iPhone
When you delete a message, the process is simple: you swipe left on the conversation, tap delete, and then select delete conversation. However, that might not be the end of the story because there are behind-the-scenes processes that happen after the message is deleted.
Behind-the-Scenes Processes of Message Deletion
After a message is deleted, it is removed from the normal messaging view. However, the message still exists on your device in the hidden database. Eventually, this space is reused, which can overwrite the deleted data. Therefore, the longer you wait to retrieve the deleted message, the less likely it is that you can recover it.
Details on Where Deleted Messages Go and What Happens to Them After Deletion
When a message is deleted, it is moved to a database called SQLite. This database holds data in a structured way, including deleted messages. The deleted messages are stored in a hidden folder until the space is overwritten. An overwritten message is irretrievable.
The Ultimate Guide to iPhone Message Recovery
If you’ve recently lost your messages on the iPhone, it’s not the end of the world. There are several ways to recover deleted messages, and this section will provide a comprehensive guide to help you retrieve your messages using a few accessible methods.
Overview of All Possible iPhone Message Recovery Methods
Here are all possible iPhone Message Recovery methods:
- iCloud Backup
- iTunes Backup
- Third-Party Software
- Message Carrier Provider
Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions on Each Recovery Method
Let’s look at the details of how to recover deleted messages on the iPhone:
Method 1: Recover Deleted Messages with iCloud Backup
- Make sure that your iPhone has an active Wi-Fi connection
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. Wait for the phone to restart
- Follow the setup process until you see the Apps & Data screen. Click on Restore from iCloud Backup
- Select the backup you want to restore to recover the deleted messages
- If your phone shows an error message stating the iCloud version is old, try another iCloud backup with possible deleted messages
Method 2: Recover Deleted Messages with iTunes Backup
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Launch iTunes software on your computer
- Click Summary tab and select Restore Backup
- Select the backup file that possibly contains the deleted messages
- If you’ve set a password, enter it to unlock your backup during the restore process
Method 3: Recover Deleted Messages with Third-Party Software
- Download and install a reliable iPhone data recovery software such as EaseUS MobiSaver
- Launch the software and connect your iPhone to the computer with USB cable
- Select the Recover from iOS Device option on the home screen
- Scan your device by clicking Scan to search for possible deleted messages
- Select the deleted messages you want to recover and click recover
- Choose a location on your computer to save the recovered deleted messages
Method 4: Recover Deleted Messages via Your Phone Carrier
To recover your deleted messages via your phone carrier, you will need to contact customer support at your phone carrier. Here are the steps:
- Contact your phone carrier and let them know you are looking to retrieve deleted iPhone messages.
- Provide your account information and specific phone number
- Wait for further instructions from your phone carrier on how to proceed
Can’t See Deleted Messages on Your iPhone? Here’s What to Do
If you can’t see deleted messages on your iPhone, here’s what to do:
- Toggle airplane mode on and off: This activity can help your phone reconnect to cloud services and restore any failed connections
- Reset network settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
- Update iOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Restore from backup: Use iTunes or iCloud Backup process to recover deleted files
- Use third-party software to recover deleted messages
iPhone messages are an essential part of communication, and it’s vital to recover them if you mistakenly delete them. However, recovering deleted messages on an iPhone is not always easy, and there is no foolproof method of doing so. Nonetheless, this article provides useful insights on how deleted messages on an iPhone operate, expert tips for message recovery, the most effective message recovery methods, and what to do if you cannot recover deleted messages.
As with all data stored on devices, it’s essential to back up your iPhone messages regularly. This habit ensures your data is readily available in case of accidental loss or damage to your device. Protect yourself from data loss by backing up your messages. Remember, there’s always a silver lining, even with the loss of iPhone messages.