YouTube is undoubtedly one of the most popular video hosting platforms on the internet today. With millions of videos at your fingertips, you’re guaranteed to find something that meets your interests and needs. However, you may sometimes come across a YouTube video that you prefer to watch offline, say when you’re travelling, or when you have limited internet access. Fortunately, downloading YouTube videos is a simple and easy process. In this article, we’ll explore the different methods you can use to download videos from YouTube and provide a comprehensive guide to using each of them. This way, you can choose the method that best suits your needs.
One of the most popular methods to download YouTube videos is by using third-party software. There are several free YouTube downloader programs available online, but not all of them work as advertised. We recommend that you download and install reputable software like the popular 4K Video Downloader that is easy to use and is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. To download YouTube videos using the 4K Video Downloader:
- Copy the video’s URL from the address bar of your browser.
- Paste the URL into the 4K Video Downloader software.
- Select the video format and quality you prefer.
- Click the Download button, and the software will do the rest for you.
It is important to note that you should check the copyright laws in your country before downloading a video. Most YouTube videos are protected by copyright laws, and it is illegal to download them without the owner’s permission. So, unless you specifically have permission from the owner, consider only downloading videos that are in the public domain or that have been licensed for free use.
Another way to download YouTube videos is by using YouTube Premium, a subscription-based service provided by YouTube. This paid service offers ad-free viewing, offline playback, and access to exclusive content. To sign up for YouTube Premium:
- Open YouTube and sign in to your account.
- Click on your profile picture and choose “Paid memberships”.
- Select YouTube Premium. Here, you can choose the subscription plan that suits you.
- Follow the prompts, enter your payment details, and you’re all set.
Once you’re subscribed to YouTube Premium, you can download videos for offline viewing by clicking the download button beneath a video. The downloaded videos will be stored in the Google Play Movies & TV app, where you can watch them offline anytime you want.
Online downloaders are a hassle-free way of downloading YouTube videos. These tools don’t require you to install any software, are accessible from anywhere, and can download videos in various formats and resolutions. However, finding a reliable online downloader can be a challenge since most of them are ad-infested and offer a confusing array of file formats and resolutions. Here are some online downloaders that we recommend:
To download a video using these online downloaders:
- Copy the video’s URL from your browser’s address bar.
- Paste the URL into the online downloader’s search bar.
- Select the video format and resolution you prefer.
- Click the download button, and the tool will download the video for you.
Bear in mind that like with downloading software, make sure to consult with your local laws on copyright and use of downloaded content.
Some browser plugins allow you to download YouTube videos directly from your browser. These plugins are easy to use and don’t require a third-party app or program installation. However, they have their limitations. For instance, some are browser specific, and others might limit the video formats and resolutions you can download. Below are some popular video download plugins:
- Video DownloadHelper for Firefox
- FastestTube for Chrome
- Easy Youtube Video Downloader for Opera
To use these plugins, simply install them on your browser and follow the instructions provided by each. You can then download YouTube videos directly from their website while browsing with your browser.
Mobile apps provide a convenient way of downloading and watching YouTube videos on the go. There are several YouTube video downloader apps for Android and iOS devices, but not all of them are created equal. Below are some apps that are popular and effective in downloading YouTube videos on your mobile device:
- TubeMate for Android devices
- Documents by Readdle for iOS devices
- YT3 YouTube Downloader for Android and Windows devices
To download a video using any of these apps:
- Copy the YouTube video’s URL from your browser’s address bar.
- Paste the URL into the app’s search bar or address bar.
- Select the video quality and click on the download button.
- The video will download onto your device.
Before downloading any such app check if they comply with your local laws as well as verify the quality and ethics of the app, and its reviews.
With the right tweaks, you can download YouTube videos directly from your web browser without using any addons or extensions. However, the method will only work on some popular browsers, including Google Chrome and Firefox. Below is a guide on how to tweak your browser settings to download YouTube videos:
- Launch your web browser and open YouTube.
- Find the video you want to download and start playing it.
- Right-click on the video player and select “Inspect Element” on the dropdown menu.
- Right-click on the highlighted code on the right pane and select “Copy”.
- Open a new tab on your browser and paste the copied code on the address bar, followed by “&fmt=18” without the quotes and hit Enter.
- The video should now start playing in a new window or tab, and you can right-click on it and select “Save Video As…” to save it to your device.
Again, be sure to double-check the copyright law in your area before using this method.